- The Summer Theatre blogger visited Port Hope and saw Singin’ in the Rain at the Port Hope Festival Theatre.
- ICYMI – J. Kelly Nestruck’s Globe and Mail "High school drama” series is now available in its entirety—a first-rate series following a secondary school theatre production that touches on so many issues in theatre today.
- Wondering how you can prepare for the October 19th federal election? The Professional Association of Canadian Theatres has advocacy tools for professional theatres.
- For registered-charity theatres unsure of the rules around political and partisan activity, Jini Stolk (the Creative Trust Research Fellow at the Toronto Arts Foundation) wrote about the current “fear of advocacy” and provided some useful tips for organizations.
- Like Toronto Fringe’s Next Stage Theatre Festival and Ottawa Fringe’s undercurrents Festival, the Hamilton Fringe Festival is launching a winter independent theatre festival: The Frost Bites Festival.
- What role do community theatres play in developing creative new talent? HowlRound posed that question for the August 13th Howl on Twitter, and while I’m not sure the conversation delved as deeply into the topic as I hoped, it was a good start.
- Lois Dawson blogs about professional stage management on “Lois Backstage: Life Behind the Scenes”, and she’s crafted a thoughtful how-to on “season planning for stage managers.”
- Catch up on the pictures and tweets from our Summer Theatre Intensive held last month in Waterloo.
Summer Theatre Intensive 2015
Behind the Scenes at Ontario’s Theatres
- In Your Eyes Projects is a new theatre company launching in Sault Ste. Marie, led by Loretta Durat (a Professional Theatre Training Program alum) and Joseph Lauzon, and with a “theatre as arts hub” focus.
- And a new storefront theatre has opened in Colborne: Process Theatre.
- Tarragon Theatre in Toronto has unveiled “Workspace”—a centre for experimentation, exploration, and extensive play development, and featuring donated space.
- Are you participating in Culture Days community engagement on September 25 to 27? They’ve provide some helpful promotional infographics and memes.
In Case You Missed It
- Part one of a series from our Summer Theatre Intensive: Building Your Actor’s Toolkit at Everything You Wanted to Know About Acting.
- We’re seeking community theatres to participate in trial adjudications of new adjudicators.