- Callam Rodya, Artistic Director of Encore Theatre Company, an indie company in Sudbury, wrote one of those blog posts that struck a chord with many: “Things I Wish I Had Been Told in Theatre School.” As he remarked, his blog post needs a talent agent.
- The second debate in the Praxis Theatre / Theatre Centre Civil Debates series is tackling theatre boards: “Be it resolved that Boards of Directors have the right and responsibility to overrule the Artistic Direction of a theatre company.” Debating in favour of the resolution are Franco Boni and Brendan Healy; debating against are Gideon Arthurs and Jini Stolk—four fantastic reasons to attend. It’s on April 1, doors open at 7pm with the debate starting at 7:30pm. If you’re in the unfortunate situation that you cannot attend in person (like I am), follow along at the #CivilDebates hashtag while lamenting that there won’t be a livestream or recording. (UPDATE: Aislinn Ross has also written a post on Praxis about "how they came to a debate about arts boards" providing some context for the debate)
- Festival adjudicator (and past Summer Theatre Intensive instructor) John P. Kelly was interviewed on the Talking Theatre podcast about Irish theatre.
- City of Toronto Cultural Services has scheduled public consultations on spending priorities—dates are available on the Live With Culture website.
- It’s Equity Night in Ottawa on April 8, open to everyone in the theatre community. While this is an opportunity for Equity members to ask questions about the new agreements and changes to insurance, this is also a chance for independent producers to learn how changes to agreements enable you to engage Equity members in your productions. This is also an occasion for non-members, permittees, apprentices and students (actors, directors, and stage managers) to ask questions about the new Equity joining process.