Thursday, 30 March 2017
Laura Hall's workshop helps you learn improv fundamentals and apply various techniques to grow into a confident actor who can make interesting choices in an instant. We'll work on minimizing nerves and learning to be present, finding "the truth", building strong characters, and building and working within your script environment (especially useful for cold reads.) The best part? The class will be geared towards whart you need! Specific exercises will depend on the overall experience and desires of the workshop participants.
Theatre Ontario Festival is a showcase of outstanding community theatre productions, a classroom for passionate, dedicated community theatre artists, a celebration of excellence in community theatre, and a destination bringing together theatre lovers from across the province. Festival 2017 runs May 19 to 23 in Ottawa Bay.
Join us at Theatre Ontario Festival 2017
Wednesday, 29 March 2017
Coming Up from Theatre Ontario
- Preparing an OAC application? Get the inside scoop at our Grant Writing Information pre-recorded webinar with Pat Bradley of the Ontario Arts Council on April 11.
- Thinking of producing a show or starting a theatre company? Join us at our Ready, Set, Show! Foundations of Indie Producing workshop with Rachel Kennedy and guest TBA on April 19 in Toronto.
- The ability of directors and dramaturges to work together to help shape meaningful and entertaining theatre is a crucial part of any production process. Learn more at our “Director-Dramaturge Collaborations” workshop with Matt McGeachy on April 24 in Toronto.
- Need help developing your long-term career goals? Join us at our “Propel Your Professional Career Forward” workshop with Vera N. Held on April 29 in Toronto.
- Want to improve your tech skills? Camp Tech offers beginner-friendly, hands-on workshops for adults like you who want to learn to use the latest applications and platforms. Taught by leading professionals, upcoming beginner-level workshops at Camp Tech include –HTML and CSS for Beginners (Apr 2); Social Media Basics (Apr 27); Wordpress for Beginners (May 7); Photoshop for Beginners (May 18); Intro to Google Analytics (May 23); Adobe Illustrator for Beginners (May 30); and Intro to Search Engine Marketing with Google AdWords (May 30). Learn more about Theatre Ontario member discounts at CampTech.
Upcoming on The Bulletin Board
- Deadline for applications from producers, directors, and designers for South Simcoe Theatre community theatre’s 2017/18 season is March 31.
- Deadline for nominations for the Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts’ Dora Ancillary Awards is April 1.
- Deadline for applications to Ontario Arts Council’s Arts Service Project grants is April 6.
New on The Bulletin Board
- Young People’s Theatre is hosting a free “training social” for post-secondary theatre students on April 24.
Check out these items, and other postings from our members.
Theatre Ontario individual members can also access Auditions, Job Postings and Discount Ticket Offers on our Theatre Ontario Individual Member Resources on our website
Tuesday, 28 March 2017
Theatre Ontario is thrilled to be introducing our new Summer Theatre Intensive, partnering with Off the Wall, Stratford Artist Alliance. Through this exciting new collaboration we will join Off The Wall in their home at Factory 163 in the heart of Stratford, Ontario.
This year we will be offering intensives over a two-week period as listed below.
WEEK ONE (Sunday August 6 – Friday August 11th):
- Sharpening your Actor’s Tool Kit with Tom Diamond
- Directing for Beginners (or how do I make this play happen?) with Thom Currie
- Freeing the Body & Imagination - An Introduction to Mask in Performance with Peggy Coffey
WEEK TWO (Sunday August 13 – Friday August 18th):
- Who the Heck Are YOU?! Creating “Character” with Liza Balkan
- Building your own Directing Process with Philip Akin
- How to Tell An “Important” Story with Donna-Michelle St. Bernard
This year we are embracing a brand new, choose-your-own-adventure approach to the Summer Theatre Intensive; pick your week, pick your course, pick your digs!
By covering each participant’s course fees, course materials, lunch and dinner only, we hope to allow more flexibility for our guests to choose their own accommodations.
Participants will enjoy catered lunches and dinners as well as other planned theatrical events throughout the week’s evenings in the hometown of North America’s largest Shakespeare Festival.
We hope to see you there!
Monday, 27 March 2017
|ONstage Now Playing in Toronto|
STUPIDHEAD! at Theatre Passe Muraille
Photo by Michael Cooper
Mar. 28, Crawlspace at Soulpepper Theatre [currently in previews]
Mar. 28, Our Town at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre [currently in previews]
Mar. 29, Spotlight Australia at Canadian Stage
Mar. 30, Niimi'iwe: Indigenous Dance Double Bill: light breaking broken / the NDN way at Native Earth Performing Arts
Mar. 30, Kiss at Canadian Stage [with previews from Mar. 28]
Mar. 31, Adult Entertainment at Marion Abbott Productions
Mar. 31, Spoon River at Soulpepper Theatre
In Central Ontario
Mar. 30, An Act of the Imagination at Owen Sound Little Theatre
Mar. 30, Waiting for the Parade at Northumberland Players (Cobourg)
In Eastern Ontario
Mar. 28, The Melville Boys at Kanata Theatre (Ottawa)
Mar. 30, Pride and Prejudice at Belleville Theatre Guild [with a preview on Mar. 28]
Mar. 31, Vigilante at National Arts Centre—English Theatre (Ottawa) [with previews from Mar. 29]
In South Central Ontario
|ONstage Now Playing in South Central Ontario|
Toronto, Mississippi at Theatre 3x60
Mar. 30, Old Love at Theatre Aurora
Mar. 31, Missing at The Curtain Club (Richmond Hill) [with a preview on Mar. 30]
Apr. 1, Halo at Ovation! Performing Arts Academy (Markham)
In Southwestern Ontario
Mar. 31, The 39 Steps at Theatre Sarnia
Mar. 31, Willow Quartet at Theatre Woodstock
For all the theatre playing across Ontario, visit Theatre Ontario’s ONstage theatre listings on our website
Friday, 24 March 2017
by Brandon Moore, Community Theatre and Communications Manager
- Anton Piatigorsky wrote in Intermission about his “obsession with theatrical metaphor” and The Here and Now.
Behind the Scenes at Ontario’s Theatres
- The Magnetic North Theatre Festival has been cancelled. The Board of Directors of the Canadian Theatre Festival Society said that they cannot continue to produce the Festival under its current financial circumstances.
- Kate Leathers will be the new General Manager of Carousel Players in St. Catharines.
- Catherine Hernandez will be the new Artistic Director of b current in Toronto.
- ... to Kimberly Rampersad who was awarded the Gina Wilkinson Prize for an Emerging Female Director for 2017.
In Case You Missed It
- Our 2017 Online Auction in Celebration of World Theatre Day has now opened.
- Celebrate World Theatre Day with Our Youth Advisory Committee.
- Welcome Ghost Light Players and Sault Theatre Workshop to Theatre Ontario Festival 2017.
- Browsing Our Bulletin Board featuring opportunities across the province including a free grant writing recorded webinar, foundations of indie producing workshop, practical playwriting with Daniel MacIvor in Ottawa, and a free webinar on space management for facilities.
- ONstage Openings this week in Goderich, London, St. Jacobs, Cambridge, Hamilton, Toronto, Tottenham, Orangeville, Ottawa, Durham Region, and Oshawa.