- #CdnCultTimes wraps up Volume 3 with a “big ideas” edition: a national dialogue about theatre criticism, how arts and culture can reform the Senate of Canada, and how theatres can use community to take on big projects
- Melissa Hillman wrote about the Class Divide in Theatre—it’s an American perspective on many things, including “the mythology of New York”, but as Lawrence Badanai of Thunder Bay and I discussed on our Facebook page, it’s just as applicable here in Ontario
- Diane Ragsdale poses two challenging questions for arts organizations to think about regarding their responsibility for civic leadership in “a Civic World Upside Down”
- Chad M. Bauman reminds theatres that non-profit arts organizations cannot adopt long-term strategic plans that focus primarily on staying alive in “Fearing Fear Itself”
- I struggle with the idea of #GivingTuesday and the value for theatres. Tom Watson articulates a number of my misgivings, and adds a few I hadn’t thought of, in Forbes
- One of my favourite theatre-going experiences began the moment I stepped into the theatre—because of the smell from the stage which immediately gave me a sense of place. Is there a role for “theatrical scent design”?
|From Ontario Summer Theatre:|
The Long Weekend at Globus Theatre
Photo by Catherine Whitnall
- The Ontario Summer Theatre blogger visited Bobcaygeon and saw The Long Weekend at Globus Theatre, and visited Gananoque and took in The Importance of Being Earnest at Thousand Islands Playhouse
- SummerWorks is launching Progress, a new international multi-arts festival of performance and ideas, coming up in February 2015
- The Hamilton Arts Council is launching “LivingArts Hamilton”, a new professional development project for the city’s arts community
- Michael Wheeler is the new Executive Director and Chief Transformation Officer at STAF, the Small Theatre Administrative Facility; Michael is a past Neil Munro Intern Director at the Shaw Festival
- Ari Weinberg is the new Intern Artistic Director at Acting Up Stage Company; Ari is an alumnus of our Professional Theatre Training Program having trained in directing with Ashlie Corcoran at Thousand Islands Playhouse and artistic direction with Steven Schipper at the Manitoba Theatre Centre
- Drew Fagan was named Deputy Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport
- Congratulations to the finalists for the 2014 Premier’s Award for Excellence in the Arts, including long-time Theatre Ontario member, the Blyth Festival
- ArtsVote Across Ontario
- The Enduring Sense of Community at Theatre Ontario’s Summer Theatre Intensive
- PTTP Profiles, featuring Rob Kempson and Kat Horzempa
Challenge Issued to the staff of Theatre Ontario by the staff of the Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
Challenge Accepted by the staff of Theatre Ontario
As of press time, Trevor Lundy, General Manager at Oshawa Little Theatre (who are hosting our 2015 Theatre Ontario Festival) has already responded to our challenge.
You can receive news and updates from Theatre Ontario every month by email. Our archives are online and the August issue is now available.