- Do you want to expand your skills as an actor or director, flex your creative muscle, and spend time with people who share your passion for theatre? If this is your idea of a thrilling week away, then this is your last chance to register for our Summer Theatre Intensive, starting August 11 in Waterloo.
- Playwriting: Idea to First Draft, with Lindsay Price on September 14 in Toronto – Sometimes the hardest step in the playwriting process is the first. Where do I find inspiration? How do I develop an idea? What if my idea fizzles out halfway through?
- Playwriting: How to Self-Edit and Critique, with Lindsay Price on September 15 in Toronto – Plays are not written in the first draft. Plays come to life in rewrites. But re-write how? What if we don't know how to move our work forward? What if we don't know how to critique our own work? What if we aren't sure how to process feedback from others? This workshop offers tools and techniques for playwrights who have a play “under construction.”
Upcoming on The Bulletin Board
- Upcoming Ontario Arts Council deadlines: Theatre Projects (August 1)
- Next in the Young Associates Summer Seminar series—Organizational Cashflow is today, Managing Your Data: Making It Work For You And Your Organization is August 7
- Jumblies Theatre’s The Art Of Community starts on August 8 in Sudbury, for participants from any arts discipline, tradition or related field with an interest and/or background in community-engaged arts
|Jumblies Theatre's The Art of Community|
Photo by Katherine Fleitas
New on The Bulletin Board
- Buddies In Bad Times is inviting submissions for Strange Sisters: The Redux. They are seeking new, not previously produced performances (10 minutes or less), durational pieces, and multidisciplinary art work. Submissions are encouraged from both established and emerging artists working in the areas of theatre, drag, performance art, dance (including aerial, pole dancing and twerking) and movement, sonic art and music, interdisciplinary, and hybrid forms. Of particular interest are projects engaged in acts of self-worship and celebration no matter how fraught with complications and contradictions they are. We want to see the ways that you adore your ugly, how you spoil yourself and sin in order to resist, cope or revolt. The submission deadline is August 19.
- The 2013 Siminovitch Prize in Theatre will be awarded to professional directors who, in the preceding 10 years, have made a significant creative contribution to no fewer than three noteworthy theatre projects in Canada. The nomination deadline is September 16.
- Buddies is also inviting applications for their Young Creators Unit for queer-identified artists 25 and under. Submission deadline is September 20.