Not sure where to get started? No problem, Theatre Ontario offers introductory webinars and courses for those just starting out or who need a refresher. Working actor but looking for a change or some insight? Our Career Stream workshops deliver insider knowledge from casting directors, agents and other industry professionals. Check out our contract law workshop for actors and get legal guidance through your rights and responsibilities when it comes to signing contracts. Get your foot in the door and walk out with endless possibilities to fuel your acting career.
Have an idea for an award-winning play? Great! We have the right workshops for the creator in you. In the Creator Stream, we offer workshops on subjects such as playwriting, proposal writing and a grant writing workshop facilitated by an OAC representative. Or put on your business hat and develop your producing skill-set with marketing, financial and planning workshops. Theatre Ontario can provide any creative individual with the toolbox to build their portfolio as a producer and entrepreneur.
So are you ready to Stage your Future?
The Career Stream
The Career Stream is for those who want to learn and harness the basic tools and resources needed to thrive in the profession.
1. Launching Your Career (previously known as Getting Started for Actors): An introductory level workshop for those with limited or no previous professional experience in the industry. Delivered by webinar online training, with guest speaker video clips. Topics covered:
- Introduction – the gist of it!
- Starting your Business – just the beginning
- Finances – keeping yourself afloat
- Marketing – “selling” yourself
- Professional Development – keeping things fresh
- Audition Talkback
- Ask an Agent
- Ask a Casting Director
- Working in other media
- Marketing: Creating your Brand
- Promoting your brand-Social
- Financial Basics for Artists
- Taxes for (Theatre) Artists
- Law For Artists
- Your Associations-CAEA, ACTRA
The Creator Stream
The Creator Stream is for anyone looking to produce their own work or start their own theatre company. Behind every great masterpiece lies the visionary who created it—You, the producer, who is also a ‘Jack of All Trades’. With in-depth knowledge and a wealth of experience from industry professionals, participants will walk away with confidence and inspiration.
1. Unleashing Your Inner Entrepreneur (previously known as Self-Start: The Basics of Producing): An introductory level workshop for those with limited or no previous professional experience in the industry. Delivered by webinar online training, with guest speaker video clips. Topics covered:
- Producing a Show vs. Starting a Company
- The Fun Part: The 5 “Ws” and an “H” of Producing
- “What” do you want to do? - Rights for creating, writing or adapting
- “Where” do you want to do it? - Theatre, venue or site-specific
- “Who” do you want to do it with? - Contracts, Agreements and Insurance
- “When” do you want to do it? - Planning and Scheduling
- “Why” do you do it? – Marketing and PR
- “How” do you do it? – Budgets and Fundraising
- Grant Writing Information Session
- Proposal Grant Writing Skills
- Business Basics: planning for artists
- Finances: budgeting and funding
- Boards and Fundraising
- Social Media 101-Creating your brand
- Marketing: PR, Web and Social Media-Promoting your brand
- Legal I: Contracts, Agreements and Rights— CAEA, PGC, PACT, ADC, SOCAN
- Legal II: Incorporation and charity status