- The #CdnCult Times from SpiderWebShow launched Volume 6 with three articles about the Federal Election—curated and written before Monday. Michael Wheeler’s post on “the Opportunity for Arts and Culture” under a Trudeau Government is particularly compelling reading.
- Alexis Gordon, who appeared as Julie Jordan in the Stratford Festival production of Carousel this past summer, met with students from Original Kids Theatre in London—where she got her start in acting.
Behind the Scenes at Ontario’s Theatres
- It’s with great sadness that we share the news of the passing of John Storey of Markham. John received our Michael Spence Award in May for his contribution to community theatre in the Central Ontario (Greater Toronto Area) community theatre region. He was a great gentleman and he will be missed.
- Meet the members of the Buddies in Bad Times Theatre Emerging Creators Unit participants.
- Scott Florence (formerly of A Company of Fools in Ottawa) is the new General Manager of Sudbury Theatre Centre (audio).
- Susan Ferley is stepping down after fifteen years as Artistic Director of The Grand Theatre in London.
- Guy Mignault is retiring after nineteen years as Artistic Director of Théâtre Français de Toronto.
- ... to Brittany Banks and Colin Simmons, chosen as the recipients of Acting Up Stage Company’s Syd and Shirley Banks Prize.
- ... to Soulpepper Theatre and Young People’s Theatre, who were both finalists for the 2015 Premier’s Awards Arts—Organization Award – Soulpepper who was chosen as the recipient.
- ... to the nominees for the Capital Critics Circle Awards for Ottawa professional and community theatre.
- ... to the short-list finalists for the Tom Hendry Awards, presented by the Playwrights Guild of Canada–the awards will be presented on Sunday, October 25.
In Case You Missed It
- Stories from the Professional Theatre Training Program: Catherine Ballachey trained in dramaturgy with Laurie Steven at Odyssey Theatre, Courtenay Stevens is training in artistic producing with Jennifer Brewin at Common Boots Theatre, and Susan Cuthbert is training in directing with Robert McQueen at Harold Green Jewish Theatre Company.
- Stories from the Summer Theatre Intensive: Joan Burrows took our playwriting intensive "There's No Such Thing As Writer's Block" with Maja Ardal