by Brandon Moore, Community Theatre and Communications Manager
- Owais Lightwala of Why Not Theatre in Toronto shared in Intermission what they learned from their “Pay What You Can Afford” pricing experiment for Prince Hamlet.
- Ruth Zamoyta shared some of the conversation from an APASO (Association of a Performing Arts Service Organizations) panel on “Arts Service Organizations and Arts Journalists: Working Together” to "fill the void" in arts journalism.
Behind the Scenes at Ontario’s Theatres
|Driftwood Theatre's production of Othello|
Christopher Darroch, Jordin Hall
Photo by Dahlia Katz
- CTV News Northern Ontario looked at the theatre community in Sudbury, where both the professional Sudbury Theatre Centre and the community Theatre Cambrian are facing serious financial challenges (and includes an interview with recent Professional Theatre Training Program recipient Alessandro Costantini, Artistic Director of Yes Theatre.)
- How is the rainy summer affecting some of our outdoor theatres? Karen Fricker checked in with Driftwood Theatre, Canadian Stage, and Shakespeare in the Ruff.
- Sad to share the news of the passing of Chris O’Brien of Timmins – an institution in Northeastern Ontario community theatre.
- The Shaw Festival announced that they would recognize one of their former Artistic Directors with the Christopher Newton Interns Program.
- The final two openings of Ontario’s Fringe Festival summer is coming up this week with the openings of the On the Edge Fringe in North Bay (August 8) and the Fringe North International Fringe Festival in Sault Ste. Marie (August 10.)
In Case You Missed It
- Stories from the Professional Theatre Training Program in video and lighting design, sound design, digital communications and archival processes, production management, and directing.
- Browsing Our Bulletin Board featuring opportunities across the province including classical directing workshop, adult education, and emerging creators unit.
- ONstage Openings this week in St. Catharines, Fergus, Newmarket, Toronto, Haliburton, Peterborough, Bobcaygeon, and Morrisburg.