Thursday 28 February 2019

Stories from the Professional Theatre Training Program: Logan Raju Cracknell

Our Professional Theatre Training Program (PTTP) offers financial support for unique and flexible training with a chosen mentor in any theatrical discipline (except performance.)

Logan Raju Cracknell trained in lighting design with David DeGrow at Cahoots in Toronto and on tour


(February 14, 2019) Time for the final blog post! It’s been a really fun time getting to be a part of this show and team. I think some of the things that were really new for me as an assistant were the moments David couldn’t be in rehearsal and I would go in to take any important notes for him, or of things he may want to know. It was a good learning experience because sometimes things that I would in a normal setting just remember, I had to take note of knowing these needed to be given to someone else. One of the tasks I did was translating plots from one venue into another and then the show plot from our first venue into the next two using the gear that those venues had.

It was interesting seeing how some venues are more lenient or less lenient with what can be changed and done in them. With the second venue the show is going to, there are a lot more restrictions and the space is greatly different from the other ones, so a lot of what needed to be done was figuring out what could and couldn’t be compromised with and adapted from the existing system.

One important task was making sure to update the paperwork as we went along through the process to make sure changes were recorded somewhere, so we could avoid having to change them again at the later locations. Especially once we got into the space and David had to focus on creating the design, it became important for me to update things like the plot and cue lists.

I think personally this project helped me grow in terms of learning a new aspect of design in theatre—what you need to do for a show that is touring—and now I can take this knowledge going forward in my career. I was lucky to get to work with a mentor who was very easy to get along with, and who trusted me to take on tasks (as opposed to just having me sit and watch) which for me was incredibly valuable.

Related Reading:




The next application deadline for the Professional Theatre Training Program is March 1, 2019.

Learn more about Theatre Ontario's Professional Theatre Training Program

Theatre Ontario’s Professional Theatre Training Program is funded by the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment