Tuesday 5 June 2018

Stories from the Professional Theatre Training Program: Stephanie Kast

Our Professional Theatre Training Program (PTTP) offers financial support for unique and flexible training with a chosen mentor in any theatrical discipline (except performance.)

Stephanie Kast begins training in writing and producing with Joshua Bainbridge in North Bay


(May 24, 2018) On June 4th I will begin my mentorship for Writing and Producing with Joshua Bainbridge. I am very excited to be working with someone I respect so highly. This mentorship will be different than others for me, due to the fact that we will be working together one-on-one. Josh is going to assist me in crafting a show and ultimately teach me to successfully produce it.

In the ten weeks of working together, I hope to write a full two-act play, and gain the confidence and ability to produce. I trust that when I am done I can take on a project comfortably, and have the knowledge to successfully produce it. Currently, I fear my lack of knowledge in producing is hindering my ability to grow as a writer/producer. With this mentorship program, I have the opportunity to gain the knowledge that I need, and am very thankful for this grant. I anticipate the information and the work I will be doing with Josh will provide me with the confidence to grow. 

I’m thrilled to be working with Josh. I have known him for four years now, and we have worked together on numerous projects. As a result, we have gotten to know each other rather well. I have performed in some of his original works, and am a member of the touring theatre company that he founded. We live in North Bay which is a rural area. North Bay is where he started and crafted an incredible career. While creating and producing his own work, he has developed an extraordinary repertoire of plays, and a lot of insight in producing in a rural area.  I am very anxious to start working with Josh, and for him to teach me what he has learned over the years. Working with Josh in the past has shown me how exceptionally humble, but passionate he is about his art, which is one of the biggest reasons I look up to him. When I chose to do this mentorship, I knew I wanted Josh as a mentor because we both have an enormous heart for the theatre, and we can see eye-to-eye. We also have similar working styles, so having someone who I can relate to will bring me closer to my goal.
I hope to learn as much as I can from my mentor. Simply put, I want to gain the understanding of how to produce a play, and obtain the skill of how to craft a proper show. I also look forward to gaining the confidence he has when mounting a production. By the end of my mentorship I wish to have a play that I can be proud of. I further look forward to his knowledge and confidence being contagious. 

In regard to how I see myself contributing to the project, I look to have my voice heard. I will contribute by being professional and having constant communication with my mentor. I will make sure that I accomplish everything I set out to do. My biggest goal for this mentorship is to come out with a plethora of information that I previously did not have regarding the writing and producing of a theatre play.  

Lastly, I am very excited for this mentorship program, and cannot wait to see what it holds. I hope my goals are met and I gain what I am seeking.

The next application deadline for the Professional Theatre Training Program is October 1, 2018.


Theatre Ontario’s Professional Theatre Training Program is funded by the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment