Tuesday 5 June 2018

Stories from the Professional Theatre Training Program: Stephanie Graham

Our Professional Theatre Training Program (PTTP) offers financial support for unique and flexible training with a chosen mentor in any theatrical discipline (except performance.)

Stephanie Graham trained in artistic direction with Mitchell Marcus at Musical Stage Company in Toronto


(April 23, 2018) I began with the Musical Stage Company in early July 2017. After nine months, I have completed my time as the Intern Artistic Director. Thank you again to Mitchell Marcus, everyone at the Musical Stage Company, Theatre Ontario and the PTTP Committee for the support during this period of training. I cannot believe how fast the time has flown. 

Stephanie and the staff of Musical Stage Company
The second half of my internship included assisting on programming and budgeting for the 2018-2019 season as well as finalizing community outreach partners for our 2018 production of FUN HOME. I was able to observe and participate in many meetings regarding future projects and attend the weekly (very collaborative) staff meetings. These meetings will remain some of my favourite moments of the internship. I will truly miss being a part of this team.

Over the course of my internship I have learned so much. I have gained skills in many areas and have also learned that the transferable skills I have as an artist can indeed apply to arts administration. I have grown in being able to articulate a vision and how to present those ideas. 

The importance of community outreach and ancillary programming in the theatre has really been something that I have become passionate about. Hosting a couple of the post-show discussions with our audiences at FUN HOME at the CAA Theatre was one of the great ways to connect with our audience!

Stephanie leading a post-show discussion at FUN HOME
Mitchell Marcus, Artistic and Managing Director of The Musical Stage Company, has been an incredible mentor and I will miss sitting beside him in the office a couple of times per week.

By completing this internship, I am able to answer the question as to whether this was a path that I wanted to pursue in my development as an artist. And the answer is yes! So, I look forward to the next chapter in my career as I pursue opportunities that can lead me to becoming an Artistic Director.

Related Reading:

The next application deadline for the Professional Theatre Training Program is October 1, 2018.

Theatre Ontario’s Professional Theatre Training Program is funded by the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment