- Diane Ragsdale proposes five ways that arts organizations may need to adapt their philosophies and practices in relationship to their communities if their goal is deeper, more meaningful engagement.
- Jenn Stephenson writes about the immersive theatre experience, the preparatory emails that accompany it, and wonders what we may take for granted with our “non-immersive” theatre audience.
- Gwydion Suilebhan writes about leadership transitions and a playwriting collective in Washington DC that was intentional about its transition goals, and the value of renewal in arts leadership.
- “The cultural manager’s job isn’t accepting obvious solutions. The job is crafting solutions, step by step.” – Keen insight from Andrew Taylor on The Artful Manager.
Behind the Scenes at Ontario’s Theatres
|Murray Finn receiving the Michael Spence Award for|
his contribution to community theatre from Bruce Pitkin
at Theatre Ontario Festival 2016 in North Bay.
- ELATE celebrated Murray Finn, this year’s recipient of Theatre Ontario’s Michael Spence Award for Contribution to Community Theatre, with a celebration at the Lester B. Pearson Civic Centre in Elliot Lake. (I will certainly confirm Murray’s description of our telephone conversation about the award—always one of my favourite tasks that I get to do each year.)
- fu-GEN Theatre Company’s “Walk the Walk: National Festival of Asian Canadian Women” introduced The 49—“plays by women of colour that you can program tomorrow.”
- Alex Mustakas, Artistic Director of Drayton Entertainment, was profiled on AQ’s Blog & Grill—a video-based weblog about entrepreneurship—and how Alex started Drayton Theatre, which is today one of Canada’s largest employers of professional artists.
- What does a Production Manager do? Seth Gerry shares his experiences at GCTC in Ottawa.
- The Stratford Festival has announced their productions for 2017—including an all-Canadian season in the Studio Theatre—and VOS Theatre in Cobourg announced their 2016/17 season.
- 4th Line Theatre’s new production of The Hero of Hunter Street—written by Talent Bank instructor and adjudicator Maja Ardal—was profiled on CBC Fresh Air.
- The next stop in the Ontario Fringe Theatre season is Hamilton—with the Hamilton Fringe Festival opening on July 14.
- to Andy McKim, Artistic Director of Theatre Passe Muraille in Toronto, who was awarded the 2016 Silver Ticket Award from the Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts.
- and to all of the winners at the 2016 Dora Mavor Moore Awards.