- Because it’s 2016. That was the theme of the latest issue of #CdnCult Times from the SpiderWebShow, with Jivesh Parasram, Christine Quintana, and Sarah Garton Stanley proposing artist resolutions for the New Year.
- Mitchell Marcus, Artistic Director of Acting Up Stage Company in Toronto, is happy to see that “the ‘serious musical’ is back in fashion.”
- “I’m not sure that much of the arts field has even figured out what the point of engagement is, let alone what to measure for.” Douglas McLennan says the The Mass Market Ain’t What It Used To Be (And What That Means For The Arts) on the Arts Journal.
Behind the Scenes at Ontario’s Theatres
- The MT Space in Kitchener is leading a Fund What You Can initiative called “Artists Sponsor Artists”, with the goal of bringing Syrian theatre actor Ahmad Mire’e as a refugee to Canada.
- Operations of the Capitol Theatre in Chatham-Kent is being returned to the municipality from St. Clair College. David Gough, writing in the Wallaceburg Courier Press, makes a case that this was the wrong venue for the community.
In Case You Missed It
- Stories from our Professional Theatre Training Program, featuring Emily Oriold, Susan Cuthbert, Miranda Bouchard, and Courtenay Stevens.
Theatre Ontario’s office will be closed from December 23 at noon, re-opening on January 4 at 9am. We'll see you in 2016!