Theatre Ontario has been innovating new programs and training opportunities for theatre makers since 1971. We’re here to help you start strong, navigate uncharted territory, master new challenges, and continually grow and adapt. We connect you with the right people, training and resources to help you thrive at every stage of your theatre journey.
We are currently gearing up for our fall workshops! If you want to upgrade your skills, get the inside scoop on how to succeed, and learn how to navigate the theatre world, these workshops are for you! Take a sneak peek at some of our course offerings for 2015-2016, and start thinking about how Theatre Ontario can help take you to the next level.
Calling all actors! Our Career Stream includes several workshops designed just for you! From launching your career to understanding unions to rocking your next audition to kicking your stage fright, and even how to manage your finances – we have workshops to get you started and help you through all the rough patches so you can focus on what you do best!
Calling all producers! Ready to take the next step and finally turn that great idea into a show? Then our Creator Stream is for you! Here you’ll find workshops for anyone looking to produce their own work. Get the basics of self-producing in “Unleashing Your Inner Entrepreneur”, learn how to fund your show with our grant writing webinar, and explore other key skills like project management and proposal writing. We’re also offering an exciting workshop on producing site-specific theatre!
Busy schedule? Nowhere near the GTA? We’ve got you covered! In addition to scheduling our workshops on evenings, weekends, and Mondays/dark days, we also offer flexible online webinars. And if you want to save money while you pursue your theatrical goals, we offer substantial discounts on workshops for Theatre Ontario members. Our members find that the membership fee pays for itself after a minimum of two workshops (depending on membership type and workshop cost).
The Career Stream
For those who want to harness the tools & resources needed to thrive in the profession
- Launching Your Career – Intro to the business of acting
- Reciprocal Agreements with CAEA and ACTRA
- Audition Talkback
- Act Bravely: Psychological strategies to conquer stage fright
- “Make it Happen” Bootcamp: Take control of your career. (These courses may be taken individually or altogether):
- smART Money: Personal Financial Basics
- Contract Law for Actors
- Ask an Agent
- Social Media as a professional tool
The Creator Stream
For anyone looking to produce their own work or start their own theatre company
- Unleashing Your Inner Entrepreneur – The basics of self-producing
- Site-Specific Theatre
- Grant Writing Information Session – The inside scoop from the OAC
- Promoting Theatre on Social Media
- “FREE MONEY” Bootcamp: Fund your art by finding money in unexpected places. (These courses may be taken individually or altogether):
- Project management
- smART Money: Project Financial Basics
- Put the ‘Fun’ in Fundraising!
- Proposal writing
NEW: Dialogues Series
- Dialogues on: Equity in Theatre
- Dialogues on: Diversity in Theatre
This year we will be running two panel/roundtable discussions in our new “Dialogues” series. They will feature in-depth, thought-provoking discussion on current obstacles to equity and diversity and how to overcome them.
Keep an eye on our website, as the workshop schedule for the Career Stream and Creator Stream will be available soon!
For more information or to register for a workshop, contact Katie Bell, Community Outreach and Training Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416.408.4556 x.15.