Behind The Scenes at Ontario’s Theatres
|Floyd Collins at Talk Is Free Theatre|
Krystin Pellerin, Kevin McNulty, Daren A. Herbert,
Michael Torontow, Katey Wright
Photo by David Cooper
- Talk Is Free Theatre in Barrie was facing a challenging opening for Floyd Collins: their shipping company failed to deliver the sets, costumes and props. But the show is opening tonight with slight modifications.
- The Ottawa Fringe will host a winter festival at Arts Court as “undercurrents: theatre below the mainstream” crosses town from Hintonburg to Downtown Rideau. undercurrent is Ottawa’s winter festival of independent theatre showcasing the best indie theatre from Ottawa and across the country.
- With much sadness, we share the news of the death of Anne Wilson of Woodstock. Anne was "a card-carrying member" of Theatre Ontario from the beginning, a former chair of our Board of Directors, and a past recipient of the Michael Spence Award for Contribution to Community Theatre. I had the pleasure of meeting Anne back in 1999 - I was Theatre Ontario Festival Stage Manager that year, she was the Stage Manager of Woodstock Little Theatre's acclaimed production of Orphans. She and her team received an Adjudicator's Award for a memorable intermission transformation of the set that garnered tremendous applause when the curtains opened for the second act of the show. She was one-of-a-kind.
- I lost count of the number of people who shared this post with me from Fannina Waubert de Puiseau, but in case it’s new to you: How Canadian Theatre Is Killing Itself, or how to REALLY love our audiences
- Creating ensemble-based theatre starts with creating the ensemble—Jeffrey Mosser explores the question of how to model one on HowlRound
- Laura Zabel on Reciprocity challenges some “bored assumptions about Boards and fundraising”