Sometimes the hardest step in the playwriting process is the first. Where do I find inspiration? How do I develop an idea? What if my idea fizzles out halfway through? Theatre Ontario's Playwriting: Idea to First Draft with Lindsay Price on March 9 takes you from the idea stage to confidently writing a first draft.
Does your organization want to undertake a unique youth training project, led by professional theatre artists? Theatre Ontario's Youth Theatre Training Program may be for you. The application deadline is March 15.
Upcoming on The Bulletin Board
- The Toronto Fringe Festival is announcing a free community event series called “Tent Talks in the Creation Lab”—a monthly discussion addressing pertinent issues that indie theatre artists face. The first talk is today at 11am, addressing the question: “With government funding for the arts in decline, how do we remain proactive and guarantee that we can afford to make innovative work that is not tied to corporate sponsorship?”
- The Arts and Letters Club in Toronto is holding a student playwriting contest for secondary and post-secondary students in the Greater Toronto Area. Submission deadline is February 28, and the prize is $1000
- Magnetic North Theatre Festival is inviting submissions for Pitches at the 2013 Festival—this program is for professional artists with projects that have financial and producing strategies in place, seeking collaborators to take the project to the next level. Application deadline is March 1
- Jumblies Theatre is running a workshop on directing community-engaged performance, starting on March 2
- Ryerson University Continuing Education is starting a program on Communication and Promotion for the Arts for arts managers, potential arts managers, and individual artists. This course led by Sue Edworthy and Jacoba Knaapen starts March 4
- ArtsBuild Ontario is providing a five-episode webinar series on Making Sense of the New Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) Standards; Theatre Ontario member organizations are eligible for a discount on this program. It starts March 4
- Toronto Fringe Festival will be inviting applications for Visual Fringe (for visual artists, performance artists and all those in-between) on March 4, and AlleyFringe (for artists with micro-plays that are staged in tents and sheds in the Fringe Club) on March 6; the deadline for Site-Specific Art is also March 4
- The Wuchien Michael Than (WMT) Foundation is pleased to announce funding for Theatre Productions in the province of Ontario for productions taking place between September 1st, 2013 and August 31st, 2014. Charitable Organizations who are producing works by Asian Canadian Playwrights are invited and highly encourage to submit an application. Deadline for submission of applications is May 1st, 2013.