Tuesday 5 June 2018

Stories from the Professional Theatre Training Program: Julia Tribe

Our Professional Theatre Training Program (PTTP) offers financial support for unique and flexible training with a chosen mentor in any theatrical discipline (except performance.)

Julia Tribe begins training in community-engaged theatre and performing arts with Ruth Howard at Jumblies Theatre in Toronto


(April 23, 2018)  Greeting! It is still early days in my mentorship, but feel a great sense of collaborative spirit from Ruth Howard and all the people at Jumblies Theatre. Ruth is one of Canada’s great visionary community arts leaders; with she and her company’s innovative approach to performance and story-creation very much keeping with my own. In this mentorship I hope to share with Ruth a vision of what the arts can be on an intimate and epic scale, moving beyond myself into a performative roll of shaping the creative unknown. 

My mentorship is divided into two parts: Phase-1, spanning mid-April to July, allowing me to sample a variety of Jumblies’ projects, collaborations, partnerships and co-productions – shadowing Ruth, connecting with other lead artists, participating, assisting, finding creative roles to suit skills and learning goals; Phase-2, a more concentrated time-frame October to November, when I will take on a more creative leadership roles within Jumblies projects and partnerships in self-directed and mentored workshop/initiatives. As to the form this will take, it is yet to be defined but very much interested in exploring story narratives that come out of the diverse population Jumblies Theatre engages; and using the performativity of art-making to explore space and adorn the character through alternative languaging inherent to the community arts. 

I see this partnership as invaluable, allowing me to learn through Ruth’s ease of community engagement, and abilities to link vast ideas of cultural distinction with creative outcomes; to stay personal while holding focus in public address; to write and speak about arts engagement with clarity and passion; and to connect with sustainable company of artist and community members, alive and thriving with potential. 

At a time of career transition, this PTTP grant provides me with the time and context to re-envision my theatre arts practice. It will provide me with guidance and context to explore the merging of my performing arts design background with my new focus on community-engaged arts.

I hope this gives you an idea of the scope of possibilities and look forward to my next report, when I can share more of the detail of what is happening, and how this mentorship is enhancing my learning.

The next application deadline for the Professional Theatre Training Program is October 1, 2018.


Theatre Ontario’s Professional Theatre Training Program is funded by the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment