Upcoming Workshops From Theatre Ontario
- Financial Literacy: What Self-Employed Artists Need To Know, with Tessa-Marie Shillingford, on May 13 at 10:30am in Toronto – Providing some basic skills will enable you to take control of your finances and make the best possible money decisions, including setting financial goals, managing on a low & erratic income, making a spending plan, dealing with debt, credit and credit cards, smart banking, and planning for retirement.
- Getting Started for Actors, with Tim Chapman, on May 15 at 2:00pm in Toronto – For actors beginning their professional careers, answering the most frequently asked questions about the business of acting including the realities of showbiz, pictures and resumes, Equity and ACTRA, agents and casting directors, auditioning, and maintaining and improving your acting skills.
- Under New Management: Transitioning to the New Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act and Ontario’s Not-For-Profit Corporations Act, 2010, with Sarah Farrell, on May 28 at 2:00pm in Toronto – Do you know how the new not-for-profit corporation acts are going to affect your theatre company? With new laws for both provincially-incorporated and federally-incorporated not-for-profits, theatres may find they need new letters patent, supplementary letters patent, and by-laws, and may have other significant administrative requirements to meet.
Upcoming on The Bulletin Board
- Early-bird registration deadline for the Directing In The Performing Arts symposium and workshop is May 10, with the workshop running June 15 to 16
- Nominations for the Patrick Conner Award from Theatre Rusticle, honouring individuals in the areas of the performing arts and sustainable/green living, are due on May 15
- Nominations for Ottawa Little Theatre’s Cornerstone Project, honouring outstanding past volunteers, are also due on May 15
- Toronto Arts Council and Tarragon Theatre are hosting a grant writing workshop for playwrights on May 29, registration deadline is May 22
- Puppetmongers Fresh Ideas in Puppetry mini-conference and festivals will be held on May 26
- Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre’s Canadian Jewish Playwriting Competition invites submissions of plays with a Jewish focus, depicting some aspect of Jewish life. Deadline is July 2
- City of Toronto Cultural Services invites applications for the Culture Build Investment Program funding shovel-ready infrastructure repair projects for small and medium-sized cultural facilities. Deadline is July 15