Thursday 1 November 2018

Stories from the Professional Theatre Training Program: Sabah Haque

Our Professional Theatre Training Program (PTTP) offers financial support for unique and flexible training with a chosen mentor in any theatrical discipline (except performance.)

Sabah Haque trained in artistic producing with Tom Arthur Davis and Jiv Parasram at Pandemic Theatre in Toronto, Vancouver BC, and Victoria BC


(October 1, 2018) There are so many ways to make theatre. An infinite amount. There are fun ways, and not-so-fun ways. Sometimes, I get stuck in not-so-fun ways. Why? Why dwell in not-fun? I am over the idea that we must suffer for our career. I am over the idea of being a blank slate for other people to write on. Deconstruction doesn’t work for me. I like to build things.

I’m becoming a stronger communicator and advocate for myself. It does make me feel uncomfortable—I hate the feeling of talking out of turn, or burdening a group of excited artists with my problems, or challenges. But there lies the problem: the way communication and confronting challenges with a creative team is framed in my mind. Who framed it that way? I have some ideas, but it’s hard to be sure. Wherever it came from, I’m going to get rid of that self-conscious, unproductive, annoying piece of wood.

Working with Jiv Parasram, Tom Arthur Davis, and Donna-Michelle St. Bernard throughout the spring and summer of this year, I rediscovered my agency, turned up the volume on my thoughts, and slowly found the courage to share them. I like being loud. I like challenging people. I like to be challenged. That’s the point! To challenge. To change. To try, and fail. Most importantly, to have fun. I will never forget to have fun. It’s easy to forget that when you’re hustling.

It’s been wonderful to see Jiv, and Tom thrive through their own set of values, creative curiosities, and collaborative practices. They get shit done, and they have a good time doing it. That’s my dream! I realized it this year, and I think I can keep realizing it as I move through my career.

This is where change starts. In my mind, in my own work, in my collaborations. And, as the funny, hard-working, chillax team at Pandemic Theatre showed me: change ripples.

Thanks to Pandemic Theatre, and Theatre Ontario for supporting my training and deep existential dive into my theatre practice. It’s been rad.

Related Reading:


The next application deadline for the Professional Theatre Training Program is March 1, 2019.

Learn more about Theatre Ontario's Professional Theatre Training Program

Theatre Ontario’s Professional Theatre Training Program is funded by the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment