- Kevin Loring, Artistic Director of the National Arts Centre Indigenous Theatre, gave the keynote address at the Professional Association of Canadian Theatre’s 2018 conference, asking the question “Whose reality are we reflecting in our theatres? (video)”
Behind the Scenes at Ontario’s Theatres
- Season announcements for 2018/19 from Theatre Orangeville (video), Theatre Sarnia, and Nightwood Theatre in Toronto.
- Ontario's Fringe Festival season opens on May 29 with the London Fringe Festival.
- The Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts announced division expansion and additional recognition in the design awards.
- The Toronto Theatre Critics Awards for 2018 were announced.
|En Lai Mah and Elizabeth Wong accepting for Jiv Parasram|
- ... to Ruth Howard of Jumblies Theatre, who won the Toronto Arts Foundation Celebration of Cultural Life Award.
- ... to Jivesh Parasram, a current Professional Theatre Training Program mentor, who won the Emerging Artist Award and published his acceptance speech on his theatre's site.
In Case You Missed It
- Theatre Ontario Festival wrapped up last weekend, and you can read the highlights from the Festival adjudications, the Festival Award winners, the Michael Spence Award presentation to Sue Perkins of London (video), and stories about the four participants and their journey to Festival: Elmira Theatre Company, Toronto Irish Players, Elliot Lake Amateur Theatre Ensemble, and Ottawa Little Theatre.
- ONstage Openings this week in Richmond Hill, Port Stanley, Cambridge, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Woodstock, Guelph, Hillsburgh, Toronto, Barrie, Perth, and Gananoque.
- Browsing Our Bulletin Board, including workshops, webinars, scholarships, and more.
You can also receive news from Theatre Ontario every month by email. Our archives are online and the May issue is now available.