Behind the Scenes at Ontario’s Theatres
|Kim Arnold and Fran Perkins from the 2018 ELATE|
Festival production of Tempting Providence by Robert Chafe
- Shocking news out of Elliot Lake where the auditorium roof collapsed at the Lester B. Pearson Theatre, prior to a dress rehearsal performance by ELATE, the local community theatre. Thankfully, there were no injuries. ELATE was last year’s debutantes at Theatre Ontario Festival as QUONTA representative from northeastern Ontario. Those of us who also remember the Algo Centre Mall collapse (which happened during an ELATE performance in one of the mall’s community spaces) know how traumatic this will be for the community.
- We were sad to hear the news of the passing of Mallory Gilbert, former General Manager of Tarragon Theatre. She was an icon in Canadian theatre, and had been honoured with many of our community’s highest accolades.
- Brad Lepp, Director of Communications for Soulpepper, wrote for PACT about how to leverage your Board of Directors for advocacy.
- The Musical Stage Company’s Syd & Shirley Banks Prize for Emerging Musical Theatre Artists is one of our province’s most interesting professional development opportunities. Michelle Bouey, one of the 2018/19 recipients, reflected on her experience.
In Case You Missed It
- ONstage Openings this week in London, Hamilton, Toronto, Port Hope, Peterborough, Perth, and Smiths Falls.
- Browsing Our Bulletin Board, including workshops, grant deadlines, volunteer opportunities, and more.