Thursday 23 August 2018

Stories from the Professional Theatre Training Program: Thomas Alderson

Our Professional Theatre Training Program (PTTP) offers financial support for unique and flexible training with a chosen mentor in any theatrical discipline (except performance.)

Thomas Alderson begins training in directing with Ashlie Corcoran at Arts Club Theatre Company in Vancouver BC


(July 24, 2018)  As I type this, I am getting excited to begin my journey with Ashlie Corcoran at the Arts Club in Vancouver. I had the privilege of working with her as a performer at the Citadel Theatre, and greatly admired her as a leader. I am so thankful that this opportunity to learn from her as an assistant director has transpired.

My main hope from this experience is to learn about the effective and positive ways directors communicate with their colleagues. I am flying to Vancouver in a week, prior to the beginning of rehearsal, which is the part I am most excited about. I have been graciously invited to spend some preparatory time with the stage management and production management teams. I look forward to gaining more in-depth insights into the director/production team relationship. What are the most effective ways to communicate? What does the production manager value in a great director? How does a director's vision start to take physical shape?

I then will spend the time in rehearsal shadowing Ashlie as she navigates her way through the play with the cast. I am excited to have the opportunity to discuss with Ashlie what I observe in the room, as she has already created an open line of communication with me.

I am also looking forward to any other surprises that come my way :)

I hope to be able to contribute my eye as an emerging director and act as a sounding board for team members to bounce ideas off.

Beyond that, I simply hope to be helpful in any way I can. Completely willing to run all the errands!!!

The next application deadline for the Professional Theatre Training Program is October 1, 2018.

Learn more about Theatre Ontario's Professional Theatre Training Program

Theatre Ontario’s Professional Theatre Training Program is funded by the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment