(From the Kingstonist)
From Theatre OntarioWe are saddened to hear the news of the passing of Kim Renders this week. Kim was a long-time member of Theatre Ontario’s Talent Bank as an instructor of acting, directing, writing, and youth theatre. She was among the founders of Nightwood Theatre in Toronto (Artistic Director Kelly Thornton wrote an excellent tribute) and was most recently a professor in the Dan School of Drama and Music at Queen’s University in Kingston—the university remembered her significant legacy and Cris Vilela wrote a tribute for Kingstonist, including how her passing is being recognized at this week’s Storefront Fringe Festival. In 2006, we recognized her contribution to professional, community and educational theatre in our province with our Maggie Bassett Award.
- Thousand Islands Playhouse is blogging the world premiere of their production The Canadian as "From Page to Stage" - with playwright Jason Hall exploring "writing farce" in Part 1.
- Theatres working to build community can find inspiration in the Toronto Fringe Festival hosting a Canadian citizenship ceremony (as reported on Intermission.)
Behind the Scenes at Ontario’s Theatres
- Seeking to use the work of playwrights digitally? Members of the Playwrights Guild of Canada now have the tools for contracts in the digital realm, with their new Digital Recording Rights Guidelines.
In Case You Missed It
- Stories from our Professional Theatre Training Program, featuring training projects in artistic direction, writing and producing, directing, designing for opera, and arts management.
- Welcome to Marie Beath Badian and Kat Sandler as Playwrights-in-Person at our Summer Theatre Intensive.
- ONstage Openings this week in Port Perry, St. Jacobs, St. Catharines, Port Dover, Haliburton, Gravenhurst, Barrie and Perth.
- Browsing Our Bulletin Board, including intensive courses, grant deadlines, and more.
You can also receive news from Theatre Ontario every month by email. Our archives are online and the July issue is now available.