by Brandon Moore, Community Theatre and Communications Manager
|Equity in Theatre Symposium|
- Rebecca Burton, the Membership and Professional Contracts Manager at Playwrights Guild of Canada, spoke on HowlRound with Elana Gartner, the founding co-chair of the International Centre for Women Playwrights (ICWP) 50/50 Applause Award, about the state of gender parity in Canadian theatre.
- Aaron Jan – in the midst of a Professional Theatre Training Program project training in dramaturgy with Marjorie Chan at Cahoots Theatre – made a Chinese Chicken Salad as part of their “Cooking Up Colonialism” series (YouTube video).
- Two letters to the editor from Ontarians for the Arts by our Executive Director, Bruce Pitkin, about the People for Education report on arts education – published in both the Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail (scroll down to “In praise of the arts”)
Behind the Scenes at Ontario’s Theatres
- Young People’s Theatre in Toronto has received $13.8 million pledge from the Government of Ontario in support of their “Room for Imagination” facility project (PDF).
- ... to the recipients and nominees at the Association of Community Theatres—Central Ontario Festival Awards Gala.
- ... and to the recipients and nominees at the Eastern Ontario Drama League (EODL) Awards Brunch. (listings coming soon!)
- ... to Lily Baird of Kingston, a former member of our Board of Directors and Community Theatre Committee, who was honoured with a lifetime membership by EODL.
- ... to the finalists for the Toronto Arts Foundation 2018 Awards.
In Case You Missed It
- Stories from the Professional Theatre Training Program, featuring training projects in directing, artistic producing, and producing.
- Congratulations to the Spring 2018 recipients of Professional Theatre Training Program grants.
- We welcome our final two productions to Theatre Ontario Festival 2018 in London.
- Honour excellence in secondary school theatre with Theatre Ontario’s Certificates of Excellence.
- ONstage Openings this week in Hamilton, London, Stratford (previews), Toronto, Cobourg, and Brockville—and with many more shows now playing in communities across Ontario.
- Browsing Our Bulletin Board, including workshops and webinars, calls for submissions, grant deadlines, volunteer opportunities, community events, and more.