- International Women’s Day is March 8. Equity in Theatre has launched two cool new initiatives as part of their work to redress gender inequities in the theatre industry. One is a Women Practitioners Database, the second is a Hackathon.
- Meanwhile, Joseph Recinos (a past Professional Theatre Training Program grant recipient who mentored in producing with Marilo Nunez at Alameda Theatre Company) challenged Toronto’s theatre community in NOW Magazine: Where are the minority voices in theatre?
- (ICYMI: Joe wrote about his training experience on our blog as part of PTTP Profiles series - at the beginning, la mitad, and the end.)
- Terry Judd, one of the co-founders of Theatre Beyond Words in St. Catharines, has passed away.
- The Second City Training Centre is expanding their facility.
- Joe Bostick, from our Talent Bank, led a free workshop for high school students at Mirvish Productions on the art of stage combat.
- The Hamilton Arts Council tackling the problem of finding space in the community with a new Space Directory.
- … to the finalists for the Gina Wilkinson Prize, which honours and assists a female theatre artist making the transition from one theatre discipline to directing. Among the finalists is Kelli Fox, who was awarded a Professional Theatre Training Program grant to mentor in directing with Gina just prior to Gina’s death. In her letter, Gina described Kelli as someone having “all the hallmarks of a fine director – communication skills, vast depth of experience in the art, passion for story and courage."
- … to the nominees and recipients of awards at the Western Ontario Drama League Pre-Festival (PDF).