Thursday 22 September 2016

Stories from the Professional Theatre Training Program: Sebastian Marziali

Our Professional Theatre Training Program (PTTP) offers financial support for unique and flexible training with a chosen mentor in any theatrical discipline (except performance.)

Sebastian Marziali will train in scenography with Trevor Schwellnus at Aluna Theatre in Toronto


(August 8, 2016) I am looking forward to start work with Trevor Schwellnus exploring the art of scenography. As I begin, we are jumping right into things as we develop the festival plot for RUTAS panamericanas running October 5-16 where I will be Assistant Lighting Designer. From there we will be looking at the design for new Aluna works in progress and a variety of shows that Trevor has lined up as an independent designer.

I’ve worked with Trevor in the past focused on directing but questions of design were always central in what we were working on. As I engaged more and more with Aluna, in particular designing surtitles for a few of their shows, I became more curious about taking a deeper look at design. I have always had an interest in design due to a background in the visual arts and I am always moved by Trevor’s designs in particular. His work makes clear to me that the physical environment in which a performance exists is of equal importance to every other aspect on stage. When executed effectively the lighting and set-design of a piece exists as another character that inspires and responds to the actors on stage.

I am really excited to be able to dedicate the time and attention to really understand an aspect of theatre which has always enticed me and for which I have many theatrical questions. Trevor’s work inspires me to look at the theatre from a different angle and I can think of no one better to help teach me the technical aspects, which I lack, but more importantly push me towards the artistic questions that can be asked using design as a basis. I am walking in with enthusiasm and a hunger to really dig into a new outlook and set of skills that I will carry forward into the work that I do.

The next application deadline for the Professional Theatre Training Program is October 3, 2016.

Learn more about Theatre Ontario's Professional Theatre Training Program

Theatre Ontario’s Professional Theatre Training Program is funded by the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment