Tuesday 12 July 2016

Stories from the Professional Theatre Training Program: Krista Colosimo

Our Professional Theatre Training Program (PTTP) offers financial support for unique and flexible training with a chosen mentor in any theatrical discipline (except performance.)

Krista Colosimo is training in artistic direction with Ashlie Corcoran at Thousand Islands Playhouse in Gananoque.

(May 27, 2016)  Two weeks down, four more to go!

I have just completed my first stretch at the Thousand Islands Playhouse where I have been working with Artistic Director, Ashlie Corcoran. I set out to expand my knowledge of artistic leadership and season programming and these first few weeks have been a fantastic introduction.

Thousand Islands Playhouse
Once I arrived in Gananoque I set to work on connecting with the heads of department, scheduling mini-meetings where I could learn more about each position in the office and the vital role they play at TIP. Theatre is a collaborative art form. The creation of a successful season begins far before any actor hits the stage and I knew that it was important to speak with the people who lay this foundation. Some of the folks I spoke with include: Richard Van Dusen (General Manager), Emily McMahon (Head of Marketing), Amanda Henderson (Outreach Officer) and Rob Kempson (Associate Artistic Director.)

Rob, in particular, has been a great source of information and inspiration. My first week we spoke at length and in great detail about the process of developing and presenting the 2015/2016 season. He provided me with a number of resources, examples of budgets, and presentation packages that were prepared last year for the season.

I have also been reading many plays! Searching for the right material to include in the 2016/2017 season that will both engage and resonate with the TIP audience. This task is a heavy one. After reading each play I create a document including a breakdown and summary which I then share with Ashlie and Rob for their records and consideration.

Along with my experiences in the office, I have also been exposed to the social duties expected of an Artistic Director attending numerous events within the community alongside Ashlie.

Overall it has been an extremely informative few weeks and I look forward to the learning yet to come.

Related Reading:

The next application deadline for the Professional Theatre Training Program is October 3, 2016.


Theatre Ontario’s Professional Theatre Training Program is funded by the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment