Thursday 16 June 2016

Stories from the Professional Theatre Training Program: Deborah Lim

Our Professional Theatre Training Program (PTTP) offers financial support for unique and flexible training with a chosen mentor in any theatrical discipline (except performance.)

Deborah Lim will train in production management with sandra Henderson at the Toronto Fringe Festival.

(April 11, 2016) I’m really excited to start my work with sandra Henderson. Preparations for the 2016 Toronto Fringe Festival have already begun, so I have some catching-up to do. 

When I was first looking to expand my knowledge and experience in production management, I was told to approach sandra because she is one of few independent production managers in the city, and the best at what she does. Upon discussing a possible mentorship with her, I was surprised to learn that we graduated from the same theatre program, and hopeful in seeing how far she has gotten in her career.

One thing that I am very excited about is troubleshooting and providing support to the many productions. I really enjoy problem solving and I believe this is a skill that I will be able to offer during my time with the festival.

With this mentorship, I am interested in learning what goes into scheduling, staffing, and contracting a festival with over 150 companies and 30 venues, and how the work is divided over time to make it manageable. I hope to leave this experience better equipped to serve my community and manage the independent projects and collectives that I am involved in.

The next application deadline for the Professional Theatre Training Program is October 3, 2016.


Theatre Ontario’s Professional Theatre Training Program is funded by the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment