Tuesday 19 April 2016

Stories from the Professional Theatre Training Program: Alessandro Costantini

Our Professional Theatre Training Program (PTTP) offers financial support for unique and flexible training with a chosen mentor in any theatrical discipline (except performance.)

Alessandro Costantini will train in directing with Caleb Marshall at Sudbury Theatre Centre

(April 7, 2016) I am thrilled to have been approved for this process. Working on a new piece of musical theatre with a wonderful team of artists will no doubt be an enriching experience. 

For Life
by Michael Doherty and Norm Foster
Directed by Caleb Marshall-Mentor

It is my goal to better my self in various aspects of my process as a director. Such as: 
  • The dialogue between Director-Designer, Director-Musical Director, Director-Choreographer, and in this case as well, Director-Playwright. 
  • This will be my first time working on a completely new piece of musical theatre and I am curious to see how the process differs from working on an already existing piece.
  • I will gain experience working on a piece that includes a small ensemble of actors. I have primarily worked with large ensemble musicals in the past.
  • To examine the responsibilities of standing as Artistic Director while directing a piece within the company.
I have previously worked with Caleb twice as an actor and have always admired his process. He manages to bring artists and designers together in a cohesive and constructive manner. He is extremely economical in his wording as a director. He is clear and concise. I appreciate that very much as an actor and am looking to strengthen those abilities within my self.

Having the opportunity to work with Norm Foster and Michael Doherty as playwright and composer will be a great examination of the process of the creation of a piece.

I believe I will contribute a great deal to the project. I have an extensive background in musical theatre and am very interested in storytelling through text, movement and music. I believe it to be a very strong and powerful form. The piece explores four young adults in their late 20s-mid 30s. Since I sit in this specific age range I believe I will be able to offer an essential perspective that is otherwise not represented on the production team.

I greatly look forward to the experience.

The next application deadline for the Professional Theatre Training Program is October 3, 2016.


Theatre Ontario’s Professional Theatre Training Program is funded by the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment